In this fast-paced digital world, Search Engine Optimization is an-ever moving target. Now that Google is indexing Facebook comments and Tweets, the competition just got even stiffer. So what is SEO anyway? SEO is the organic results that appear just below the “paid advertisements”. In order to rank high in the “organic results”, you have to have a well-designed site that is “search engine friendly” as well as employ some other basic strategies.
These “friendly” strategies include but are not limited to:
1. Well-written title tags and description tags that are not too long or too short.
2. Make sure all of your website images have “alt tags” that contain your keywords.
3. Work on getting quality “inbound” links from web sites. Those are links from other websites that link to yours. However, understand that not all links are weighed the same. A website with a higher Google Page Rank will be worth 5-10 links of smaller web sites that have little Page Rank. For example, a link from your Town’s website or Chamber of Commerce will be worth more than a link from a small plumbing company web site that has barely any traffic.
4. A blog that has new articles on a regular basis. Make sure you have links from your blog back to your website and there is a link in many of the articles as well.
5. Updating new content on your website on a regular basis.
SEO is an moving target. Strategies that worked just 6 months ago may not be working as well today, especially those by “SEO firms” that try to “trick” the system. If you produce quality content and spend time and effort of increasing quality in-bound links, your results will pay off!