Mobile phones and tablets are changing the technology marketplace, yet many small business owners are not paying attention to this marketing platform. Is your website mobile friendly at the very least or do you have a mobile website? Do you engage in mobile marketing?
The CMO Council recently conducted a study about mobile activity and marketing. To download a complimentary executive summary or the full report with detailed data, infograph and executive perspectives, please visit the CMO Council.
Here are a few key findings:
- By the end of 2011, there were 6 billion mobile subscribers, which equals 87% of the world’s population (International Telecommunications Union).
- Mobile broadband subscriptions outnumber fixed broadband by 2:1 (ITU)
- There are almost 1.2 billion mobile web users globally (ITU)
- Ten% of website hits/views came from a handheld or mobile device (Stat Counter)
- In 2011, 7.8 trillion SMS messages were sent. Experts anticipate that number will rise to 9.8 trillion in 2012 (Portio Research)
- Also in 2011, 669.5 million people used mobile email (Portio Research)
- Mobile IM will exceed 1.4 billion users by 2016 (Juniper Research)
- Sixty-four% of mobile phone time is spent using apps (Nielsen 2012)
- App-to-person (A2P) messaging will over take person-to-person messaging (SMS) by 2016 (Juniper Research)
- Sixty-one% of smartphone users and 49% of mobile and tablet users make local searches from a device (comScore)
- Mobile payments are expected to quadruple to $630 billion by 2014 (Juniper Research)
- In the U.S., 64 million smartphone owners accessed social networking or blog destinations via mobile devices as of December 2011, up 77% from December 2010 levels (comScore).
One of the conclusions of the article is that consumers are becoming more mobile overall and marketing campaigns should adopt a multi-platform mentality. What that means is that your marketing campaigns should be tweaked for various marketing channels such as social media, website, mobile and Email.
If you are interested in developing a mobile website, please contact us at 970-731-6325 today.