Optify, a B2B digital marketing software company, recently released their 2012 B2B Marketing Benchmark report. The report shows how small business-to-business companies are getting their leads, spending their marketing dollars and getting website traffic.
You can download the report here.
Here are some key findings:
- Google is the single most important referring domain to B2B websites, responsible for over 36% of all visits.
- Social Media is still a small fraction of traffic and leads to B2B websites, contributing on average less than 5% of all traffic and leads.
- Email shows high engagement rates as well as strong conversion rates with an average 2.9% lead conversion rate.
- Paid search usage showed a constant decline among B2B marketers in 2012. Over 10% of companies in the report discontinued their paid search campaigns during 2012.
- Twitter is the strongest social media channel for generating leads, outperforming Facebook and LinkedIn 9-to-1 with 82% of social media leads coming from Twitter.
What is the takeaway for consultants and small business professionals?
1. Marketing is cross platform. So, if you are not engaging in website interaction, blogging, Email marketing, and social media currently, you are falling behind. Each channel affects the other so make sure you are creating a comprehensive marketing strategy..not just poking at different channels inconsistently.
2. Tracking is key. Many owners and consultants use their own personal Internet practices as the model for how clients will interact and find out about your business. However, tracking usually reveals another story. Find out how how your clients are finding you and the best sources for leads.
3. Pay attention to landing pages and conversion rates. Many consultants and small business owners still view their website as an online brochure instead of realizing that each marketing channel should be tied into a landing page with a special offer.
Marcy Mitchell is the Owner of MTECH, a digital shepherd for small business owners and consultants. Marcy provides web development/design services, search engine optimization, marketing training and web reports for clients. If you are interested in growing your business, please contact us at 970-903-3605.